Sunday, December 18, 2011

Toothsome Treats

My 16-year-old son is getting his wisdom teeth out tomorrow; we scheduled it to coincide with his Christmas break.  Ouch!

So today I made his favorite cookie bar so that he could indulge a little before he has to be on a liquid and soft food diet.



Pecan Pie Squares
Original recipe from Taste of Home magazine
(click here to print)

Crust:
3/4 cup (12 Tbsp.) cold butter, cut in chunks
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt (omit if using salted butter)

Filling:
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Generously spray a 13x9 inch pan with non-stick spray.   Combine flour and sugar, then cut in butter until there are coarse crumbs.


Press evenly into the pan bottom and partially up the sides and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.

Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients.  Spread the filling evenly over the partially-baked crust.



 and return to the oven for an additional 25-30 minutes or until set.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

When bars reach room temperature, cut around the perimeter to loosen, then cut into squares.



Store in the refrigerator but serve at room temperature.

The original recipe called for this to be made in a 15x10 inch pan, but I like these bars a little thicker.  They taste just like pecan pie!




1 comment:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Pecan pie is my favorite, I know I would love these! Do you mind if I put this post on Pinterest in my recipe file?