Thursday, August 18, 2011

Berry, Berry Extraordinary French Toast


My local go-to place for breakfast or brunch is: 
 

It is a California-based chain with a French theme.  The location near me has more of a New Orleans' theme which makes me feel right at home.  Mimi's is known for its giant muffins, particularly the carrot raisin muffin, but they have a whole roster of delicious breakfast dishes.

My favorite item on the breakfast menu is called Mixed Berry Pain Perdu.  This is how they describe it:

French toast stuffed with cream cheese and orange marmalade and topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries and strawberry puree.
It is delicious, and I practically lick my plate clean.
 
Mimi's always has a line of customers on Sunday morning and I didn't feel like waiting in the 100+ degree heat.



So I decided to try my hand at creating this signature dish at home.  For the filling, I used half the filling recipe that I used in my fruit tart but added a little marmalade to ramp up the orange flavor.  My kids said it was very close to Mimi's--even better!--so I guess I can officially call this a copycat recipe. 



Mixed Berry Pain Perdu
(click here to print)

Blueberry Syrup:
(original recipe from Cooks.com)

1/2 cup sugar (next time I'll probably use a little less, like 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 cups blueberries
Combine sugar and cornstarch in 4 cup or larger pyrex measuring cup.  Add water, syrup, and lemon juice. Stir in blueberries.  Microwave on high power 4 1/2 to 5 minutes or until thickened.  Set aside.

Cream Cheese Orange Filling:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and a few drops of orange oil - you could use 1/2 tsp. orange zest, too)
1/2 Tbsp. orange marmalade

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.   Using 8 pieces of cinnamon raisin bread, make 4 sandwiches with the filling in between.  Lightly butter the outside of the bread  (use real butter for best flavor).



French Toast:

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
a little freshly grated nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp.)


Combine all ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined.  Heat a nonstick frying pan or griddle to medium high heat.  Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, coating evenly.  Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.



Cut the french toast sandwiches into triangles and dust with powdered sugar.  Serve with homemade blueberry syrup and garnish with fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.




Bon appetit!

Linking to:






sshbutton


 Countdown to 2011 with Finding Joy in My Kitchen


8 comments:

laurie said...

I love it! What a wonderful recipe!

Hezzi-D said...

This looks delicious! I love the orange filling combo with the berries in the topping-so yummy!

AudreyO said...

I love Mimis. I can't go there without getting a buttermilk spice muffin. Those are just the best!!

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Audrey, did you know that the recipe for those muffins is on their website? Here's the link:
http://www.mimiscafe.com/RecipesSpiceMuffins.aspx

polwig said...

Beautiful... amazing.. I can eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner

Miz Helen said...

I just love Mimi's, but who would need to go there if we had your wonderful breakfast. Your French Toast is out of this world , mouth watering good! Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Come back soon,
Miz Helen

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a wonderful breakfast treat! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe. I'm visiting from Miz Helen's.

SnoWhite said...

This is just stunning -- what a great breakfast, I can see why you like it! Thanks for linking up with us today -- it's wonderful to have you!