Friday, December 23, 2011

Santa's Whiskers

When I was growing up, my mom went a little wild with the Christmas baking and decorating.  In those days, most moms were stay-at-home moms, but not all of them were experts in the domestic arts like my mom was. She would decorate every room, wrap each gift exquisitely, then make handmade chocolates, English toffee, fudge, and dozens and dozens of assorted cookies.  I'm sure that if blogging had existed back then, she would have loved contributing.

Today, unbeknownst to her, she is contributing through me.  These are my favorite childhood cookies.  They start with a shortbread dough but red and green candied cherries and pecans are stirred in.



Then the whole (yule) log is rolled in coconut (the "whiskers").  The name alone is so festive, and the taste and appearance are very merry indeed!


Santa's Whiskers
(click here to print)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup finely chopped candied cherries
1/2 cup finely chopped green candied cherries
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 egg white, beaten
1 cup coconut

Cream butter, sugar, milk and vanilla.  Add flour and mix until just combined.  Stir in cherries and nuts by hand.  (I chopped the fruit and nuts in my food processor.)





Form dough into 2 logs, each 2 inches in diameter and 8 inches long.



Brush with egg white and roll in coconut.



Wrap and chill overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Slice cookies 1/4 inch thick and bake on ungreased baking sheet for 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.



Cookie Time!


Linking to:

Friday Food at Momtrends


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are so pretty! I love making cookies with my kids that I remember making with my mom & gram.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday! Thanks for linking up to Momtrends.com Friday Food!