Saturday, December 31, 2011

Crunch A Bunch

A holiday tradition in our house is that My Man makes traditional Chex mix.


I like it, but there are usually partial boxes of cereal left and none of us is wild about Chex for breakfast.
I found a great recipe on allrecipes.com to use up those partial boxes.  And it's gluten-free!



This  Caramel Snack Mix is sweet and nutty and packs a colossal crunch.  I'm bringing it to a New Year's Eve party tonight so that we can nibble on it while playing board games with our bunch of friends.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Combine a total of 12 ounces of rice and corn chex (or use Crispex, if you prefer), 1 cup of pecans, and 1 cup of almonds in a well-oiled roasting pan.  I keep the nuts whole, but you can chop them if you want.


Melt 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), 1 cup packed brown sugar, and 3/4 cup light corn syrup in a large microwave-safe vessel.


Microwave on high for 2 minutes or until the butter is melted.  Pour over the cereal and nuts and stir well to combine.


Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.   Turn out onto some parchment paper to cool, separating the clusters so they don't stick together.  I sprinkled mine with a little sea salt, too, to add a little contrast.



Addictive!


6 comments:

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmm, looks and sounds great!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful New Year ~

Pat

Cindy said...

I love Chex--salty or sweet. This recipe looks delish. I pinned it for safe keeping.
Have a Happy 2012!

Paula said...

I would totally make a pig of myself on this. Saving for Superbowl.

Tammy said...

OHHH! That looks yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Vicki,
I haven't been checking too many blogs this week because my granddaughters are here so I almost missed this fabulous recipe! I'm such a sucker for caramel corn and this just seems like a fun rendition with the same flavors! YUM!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..looks sensational...Am ready to munch the whole now..;P
Tasty Appetite