Thursday, April 21, 2011

Passover Brisket

Most Texans love brisket.  I think it may be the State Meat.

Texas, by Dominic Episcopo, from Meat America
I have enjoyed brisket at many BBQ joints,  but I prefer pulled pork.  I think it's because brisket can be very dry and tough unless you get it chopped and smother it in sauce.

This brisket is neither dry nor tough because it's not done on a smoker but is braised in the oven.  It's very economical and feeds a crowd.  Unless you live in Texas, in which case it might just feed your family.   I thought it was fitting that I post this particular brisket recipe on Holy Thursday since Jesus' Last Supper was eaten on Passover.

Passover Brisket
Slightly adapted from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse
(click here to print)


8-10 lb. beef brisket (I used a 6 lb. one but kept the rest the same)
5 lg. garlic cloves, slivered
1 qt. (32 oz.) beef stock
3 large onions, sliced
3 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. Montreal steak seasoning
2 tsp. Emeril's Essence seasoning (recipe found here)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chili sauce

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Use a knife to make holes in the raw brisket and stuff each hole with a little piece of garlic. Place brisket fat-side down in a roasting pan and bake until browned, about 20 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, about 15-20 minutes more. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, add beef stock, and cover the pan with heavy-duty foil.  Continue to bake brisket for 1 hour.

From top left to bottom right:  stuff roast with garlic; bake uncovered to brown; add broth, cover and cook 1 hour; add the sauce and bake an additional 2-3 hours; remove to cutting board to rest before cutting.


Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium-high heat and caramelize the onions, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Add the seasonings, ketchup, brown sugar, and chili sauce. Mix well and set aside.

Remove brisket from oven after the hour cooking time above and stir in the sauce. Cover and continue to bake for 2-3 additional hours or until very tender but not falling apart. Remove brisket to a board and let rest for 15 minutes.

Slice across the grain into 1/2 inch thick slices.


Strain the sauce. Place the brisket in a pyrex casserole dish and cover with the sauce and refrigerate until the next day.



Reheat at 325 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or until heated through.  You could just eat this immediately, but I think that this brisket tastes better the next day after the flavors have melded.

Braised Beef Brisket

Serve with potato latkes to carry out the Passover theme or do as I did and serve with homemade mashed potatoes.

Linking to:





Photobucket





6 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh the brisket looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe. My kids loved the Texas shaped beef!!

Lisa said...

I had no idea bricket was big in Texas! We have it for Jewish holidays, but I didn't realize it was so popular in other places. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I'm just loving that Texas sized brisket!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday.

Oh, and if you haven’t done so already - don’t forget to pop on over to Little Brick Ranch to enter the Joey Totes Earth Day GIVEAWAY!!!

**Bloggy Tip of The Day - Make sure you have an email address associated with your profile to make it easier for people to reply to your comments!! :) **

Paula said...

I have never associated brisket with Passover. But I saw some big pieces of brisket in the grocery store today that made think summer must be close. Now I have a good recipe for it.

Kristen said...

That looks fantastic! I try to make a brisket at least once a year.

Cindy said...

I have yet to cook brisket---butn I have one in my freezer. I think this recipe looks like a winner. Thanks for sharing.