Friday, November 5, 2010

Hip to be Square

Earlier this year, I told my almost-teen daughter that we would change her room to a more grown-up space.  I don't have a before picture, but here are some of the elements that were in there.  The walls were lavender.

Pastel quilt, tole vase, & impressionist pics of little girls



Needless to say, she was ready for a BIG change!  She wanted something hip and modern.  I wanted something punched-up but not too wild.  She thought my ideas were so square (and I guess using that term confirms it!).  Both of my kids are anti-earth tones when it comes to paint choices.  She wanted a bright blue paint.  Initially, I said no way, since it's out of character with my style and the rest of the house.  But then a friend's comment gave me pause.  She said that our kids are only home for a little while, so why shouldn't we give them the bedroom decor they desire?  Since her bedroom is upstairs and mine is down, I thought about it and gave in since I wouldn't have to look at that color every day.

I painted her room a Laura Ashley color from Lowe's called Glass Green.  It's not really green, it's more turquoise.  (One note about paint from Lowe's:  always go one sheen level down from what you were thinking for walls.  I chose a satin and should have gone with the eggshell.  It's a little shiny, but not bad.)

Once I saw the color direction she wanted to go in, we started looking at comforter sets.  I liked the Pottery Barn Teen versions but found them very pricey, so we settled on one from J.C. Penney which we both LOVE. I don't think it's available anymore, but it came with the comforter and 2 shams for around $80 and has a microfiber type feel to it.  Very nice.


Seventeen: Geo Nights

I found a striped body pillow ($20) from Target that coordinated beautifully.  The blackout drapes ($20), also from Target, were a necessity since my daughter's room faces east.  Now if I could only get her out of bed before 11 when she's not in school!

I found some removable decals ($10) at Walmart that I used over the bed to give it interest.

Decal detail


For her study area, I already had the console table that a friend gave me and we're using it as a desk.


 The lime chair ($30) came from Target as did the cool stacked-squares crystal lamp, my one splurge ($75).


Peace sign ($12) came from HomeGoods.  I thought about painting a peace sign directly on the wall but wanted to stick with things that were easily reversible since I have a lot of painting to do elsewhere!



Finally, since my daughter has grown just a little bit since her early childhood days...


she really needed a new dresser for her clothes.  I found a sturdy one for $300.  It has lots of deep drawers, a jewelry drawer, and even a center door section with shelves and sliding drawers behind it.  And square knobs!  Perfect!

Oozing with teen charm

Vintage glass cat from Grammy

The one thing I still need to do is paint the finials on my vintage iron bed (it was my grandma's) either a silver color or white to match the rest of the bed.  But Jessica's room is functional, it's modern, and she loves it.  And it makes her mom very happy.

No comments: