Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sheep Thrills

I love lamb.  It's got a unique flavor that is kind of tangy (similar to goat cheese).  Lamb was a holiday dish in my family when I was growing up.  We frequently had roasted leg of lamb for Easter and often for Christmas, too.

SOURCE
But lamb has gotten quite pricey!  I used to find whole legs of lamb (bone-in) for $3 a lb. on sale, $4 regular price.  Now it is closer to $6 or $7 a lb.!

I was thrilled to find a boneless leg of lamb at Costco for $6 a lb.
 

Hardly a steal, but since there's no bone, I figured it is a pretty good buy.   I bought one and decided to grind some for lamb burgers using my KitchenAid Grinder attachment.



The seasonings used in the lamb burgers I made are reminiscent of a gyro (YEER'-oh).  I served them in pita pockets with crispy lettuce, juicy tomato, crumbly feta cheese, and a cool cucumber yogurt sauce called tzatziki.  My family thought they were delicious, and  I hope "ewe" do, too! 



Be a Hero Gyro Burger
Adapted from Emeril's New New Orleans Cooking
(click here to print)


1 1/2 lbs. lamb, coarsely ground (85% lean ground beef can be substituted, if desired)
2 medium shallots, minced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp.fresh basil, minced (or 2 tsp. dried)
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced (or 1 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. Emeril's Essence or your favorite Creole seasoning
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1 egg, beaten



Combine all ingredients and mix lightly but thoroughly.  Chill for about an hour, then form in about 6 quarter-pound patties.


Preheat grill to medium.  Oil a grill sheet and place burgers on it over the flame.


 Cook for 5 minutes per side, flipping only once.


Serve in on a toasted onion roll or in a pita bread.  Garnish as desired, but traditional gyro ingredients are lettuce, tzatziki sauce, and onions.



Linking to:














3 comments:

SEO Company Los Angeles said...

My mouth is watering! I can't wait to try this... I have never tried making gyros at home. There is a first for everything!

Miz Helen said...

Oh my,
I just love lamb and that lamb looks so delicious! We used to go to this little place to have the greatest Gyro and haven't had a good one in years. We are trying this real soon!
Hope you are going to have a wonderful week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Miz Helen

Emily Thompson said...

hi! This looks amazing! I would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday Party...
http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/
Hope to see you and your tasty goodness next week.