Friday, May 13, 2011

Bead Dazzled

My friend Lisa started a craft group a few months ago, and today's project was jewelry making.

We are fortunate to live in a town that has a wholesale bead store, so we headed over there a week ago and picked up some supplies.  I have only made one piece of jewelry in my life and swore I would never do it again because I found it very difficult.  I think the problem is that I chose very tiny seed beads and had to use the dreaded needle (I am sewing-challenged).  I kept dropping the microscopic beads and couldn't see well enough to thread the needle through the bead...you get the picture.

Well now I have the added complication of carpal tunnel (right-hand fingers are somewhat numb) so I was a little reluctant.  But I decided if I chose bigger beads, I might be able cobble something together.

Look what I made!!


I chose the stone pendant first and then the aquamarine-colored gems, irregularly-shaped freshwater pearls and beautiful iridescent Swarovski crystal beads (my fave).




Our hostess, Pilar, had gazillions of beads, jewelry-making tools, and knowledge.  She graciously let me raid her stash for the silver ball spacers.  She put the clasp on, which was the most difficult part of this project.    She used a crimping bead, a little horseshoe-shaped thingy to cover the wire (can't remember what she called it?),  the clasp, and a little glue.

She made it look easy, but I know it isn't.


I am very proud of myself and my kids were, frankly, amazed that I made this.  I think it's good for them to see that even I am still learning new things that are outside of my comfort zone.   My unique, one-of-a-kind creation probably cost about $20, but I have enough beads left over for another project.  Someday.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

It is beautiful! And even more so because you made it yourself.
Wear it with pride!!

Paula said...

Vicki, oooooh, very cool! Love the various beads you put together. Now we need a picture of you actually wearing it.