Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Signature Chocolate Mint Brownies

Recipes are a living, breathing thing.  These chocolate mint bars were made by both my mom and my mother-in-law in the 1970s.   They lived a thousand miles apart but their recipes were almost identical.



Now, almost 40 years later, the recipe is still going strong but has evolved.  I am still using the basic recipe but have tweaked it to make it my own: more chocolately and less sweet.  These are my signature Christmas bar; people go crazy for them.  I had someone hunt me down after they tried one at a teachers' appreciation event .  I think that the creamy, cool peppermint buttercream frosting topped by crunchy candy-cane bits (my addition for Christmas) and a bitter chocolate glaze is perfect for the winter holidays.

Chocolate Mint Bars
(click here to print recipe)

Brownie Base

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
4 oz. (squares) unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees if you're using a dark coated or glass pan).  Melt the chocolate and butter on HIGH in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes or until almost melted.  Stir well.



Add sugar, eggs, and peppermint extract.  Mix in by hand.


Add the flour last and mix only until combined.  Pour into a well-greased 9x13" baking pan.


Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.   Let cool completely.

In the meantime, make the
Peppermint Buttercream:

6 T. butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted.
3 T. milk
2 tsp. peppermint extract
2-3 candy canes (optional)

Combine all ingredients and mix well using an electric mixer or food processor.  Spread evenly over cooled brownies.



If using the candy canes, unwrap them, put in a ziptop bag, and pound into crumbs with a hammer or meat mallet.  Sprinkle evenly over the frosting.


Glaze:

Melt 2 squares unsweetened chocolate with 2 T. butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Use a fork to decoratively glaze the brownies, letting some of the frosting peek through.  Refrigerate until chocolate hardens.  Cut brownies into squares or fingers and serve at cool room temperature for best flavor.  Store in an airtight, covered container in the refrigerator.





2 comments:

Red Couch Recipes said...

These brownies look so yummy. I love your pics of it too -- very artful. Thanks for linking to my "It's Your Wonderful Life" party. Joni

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for becoming a follower, Joni! I'm trying so hard to get good pics with my point-and-shoot camera. This blog stuff is a learning process!