Thursday, January 12, 2012

Simple Salmon

One of my New Years resolutions is to eat healthier.  That would definitely include eating more yummy fish.  Salmon was on sale last week for $4.99 a pound, so My Man, the grocery shopper, picked up a nice 2 1/2 pound filet.


After church on Sunday, I decided to make this for lunch for the family.  When I was growing up, Sunday lunch was the big meal of the day, and it was a "grab your own" for dinner.  I have pretty much continued that tradition.

I didn't want to fuss too much since it was supposed to be day of rest and I was tired.  So I virtually consulted the Barefoot Contessa and used the marinade from her Roasted Salmon Nicoise for my fish.  It's got ingredients that I usually have on hand:  zesty lemon, pungent garlic, and piquant dijon mustard.



Easy Marinade for Fish
from Ina Garten, aka The Barefoot Contessa
(click here to print)


  • 2 lemons, zested and juiced
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 3 pounds skin-on fresh salmon fillets

Combine the olive oil, mustard, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper.  Whisk to combine.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line a sheet pan with heavy duty foil and place fish on top.  Pour the marinade evenly over your fish filet


and let stand for 15 minutes at room temperature.



Pop the salmon in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.


Slice the salmon into serving pieces, leaving the skin behind on the foil   I served this with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf with dried cherries and toasted pecans.


If you want to, you could make extra marinade and serve it on the side, but since I'm watching my calories, I opted out of that idea.

Easy to make and easy cleanup, too:  Just wad up the foil and throw it away!  Simple and sensational.
And hey, because I have made healthy choices (so far!) in the New Year, I have lost 4 pounds!

Linking to:

Cast Party Wednesday






3 comments:

Blissful & Domestic said...

We LOVE Salmon! This makes me want to go get some. Oh so yummy! Love for you to link these up to my feature Friday Linky Party

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/search/label/Friday%20Link%20Party

Nicole Feliciano said...

Simple and divine. I think I even have all these ingredients in the fridge. We love salmon and this is terrific. Thanks so much for sharing on FridayFood over at Momtrends.

LoLy said...

OMG, this is my 1st time around your blog,, but this really looks simplr and hell yummie :D Love it