Friday, September 23, 2011

The Experts

If you are a cooking enthusiast like me, you have probably heard of Cooks Illustrated magazine


and the companion PBS series, "America's Test Kitchen."


If you haven't discovered them yet, these folks are cooking experts.  They make the same recipe dozens of times, tweaking different components (both the ingredients and the process) to produce the ideal technique and flavor.  They use a combination of science and art to create kitchen masterpieces, and then share the results with those of us who don't have the time or inclination to "experiment."


SOURCE


This is their stated mission: 
"America’s Test Kitchen is a real 2,500 square foot kitchen located just outside Boston. It is home to more than three dozen full-time cooks and product testers. Our mission is simple: to develop the absolute best recipes for all your favorite foods."
I have an online subscription to Cooks Illustrated so that I can turn to their expertise when I need advice on everything from cooking techniques to product recommendations and reviews. The annual online subscription cost is $35, about the price of a good cookbook.  But you can access a lot free through the America's Test Kitchen website, including recipes and great instructional videos.

You can also get a free weekly newsletter from Cooks Illustrated with recipes and other goodies emailed directly to your inbox.  Click on this link, then on the Free Newsletter link in the left sidebar.  My latest newsletter had a link to a free knife skills tutorial that is part of their new online Cooking School that I used to sharpen my knowledge and technique.

I am in no way compensated for my recommendation of Cooks Illustrated or its subsidiaries, I just wanted to pass along some interesting and useful resources.  Enjoy!



1 comment:

Cindy said...

I turn to Cooks often for great recipes. Love their DVD's, I can watch a cooking show anytime.