Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Porridge is Just Right!

Have you tried McDonald's Fruit & Maple Oatmeal yet?


I had a coupon for a freebie and tried it today.  It's quite good: creamy oatmeal is topped with crispy apple bits, golden and regular raisins, craisins, and maple-flavored goodness.  It's not too bad nutritionally, either: 290 calories and 5 grams of fiber.  There are 32 grams of sugar, though, but some of that is naturally-occurring in the fruit.

I hope this product makes it because I think that whenever a fast-food restaurant offers healthier alternatives, it is a good thing.  One potential drawback could be the price, though.  It is $1.99.  I don't know about you, but that price gave me pause because for $2, I can buy a 42-oz. canister of generic quick oats.

I used to buy Quaker instant oatmeal (the individual packets), either flavored or plain.  Those are tasty but also quite pricey when you consider that there are 10 per box, and you probably need 2 per serving (at least I do!).  Believe it or not, I now make my own "instant" oatmeal with quick oats.


Bring about a cup of water to a rolling boil in the microwave (about 3 minutes).  Then pour some over 2/3 cup of raw quick oats and stir.  Use enough water so it looks "soupy," because the oatmeal will absorb a ton of the water. Let it sit for a few minutes.  Then add whatever toppings you like.

I prefer my oatmeal firm, not mushy, but if you like it creamier, you could use milk instead of water for the liquid.  My kids love oatmeal this way, too.  Porridge my way is just right.
Source

Try it and let me know what you think!

No comments: