Monday, January 16, 2012

My Word!

Layla from one of my favorite blogs, The Lettered Cottage, is hosting a party today (on my birthday!) which caught my attention:

The Lettered Cottage
I am intrigued by this business of choosing a word for the year that will provide focus and direction to my life.  Imagine, the Word providing direction!  Did you know that another name for Jesus Christ is the Word?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was GodHe was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. (John 1:1-3)

The universe was spoken into existence with a word by the Word!
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.  By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.  (Hebrews 11:1-3)

Clearly, words are powerful!

I have been convicted lately that I have let some of my relationships lapse or haven't been pouring as much into them as I should be.  This goes for both my vertical relationship (with God)




and with my horizontal relationships (with others).

   Ever notice what that vertical and horizontal represent?


"Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?"  (Luke 9:23-25)
I need to take up my cross and follow daily.  Daily.  Now there's a challenge.  I have been tending to relationships in fits and starts and haven't been very disciplined in the art of daily communicating with my Lord or even with my friends and family.  I have been putting self-interests above His interests (which always prioritize relationships over the things of this world).  Even this little ol' blogging thing can be a major distraction!

So my word for this year is

con·nect   verb \kə-ˈnekt
 
1. To become joined or united: two streams connecting to form a river.
2. To be scheduled so as to provide continuing service, as between airplanes or buses.
3. To establish a rapport or relationship; relate: The candidate failed to connect with the voters.

Interesting that my logo has a power cord associated with it.  My phrase for accomplishing connection is:

"The power to DO comes from YOU!"

I know that my Spirit is willing but my flesh is weak and that the only way to actually have daily connection with God and with others in a Christ-honoring way is through my power source: the Holy Spirit.

Lord, please help me to Connect with you and with others in a way that brings you glory.  Help me to be consistent (daily) and deliberate and to find my power to do this in YOU.


3 comments:

Chantal said...

Hi! Thank you so much for such a profound and well thought out "lesson". My neglected relationships have been weighing heavily on my mind too. It is one of my goals for the New Year too to be more connected with family, friends, and our Lord! Thank you - your post of today is awesome. Happy Birthday to you and may your year be filled with rich blessings.

Unknown said...

Vicki,
Beautiful post, thanks for these wonderful words of inspiration. Love your photos also! Happy Blessed Birthday wishes to you!

Unknown said...

I am your newest follower from Layla's partyStop by for a visit!